Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never before have many scientific breakthroughs and new methods emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses millions of people the chance to decrease or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and fast method to correct vision, however stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to help make sure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting referrals from other doctors or from patients who have had LASIK or laser check my blog vision correction.
Don't be fooled by expensive ads about a specific laser. Choose the doctor, not the laser.
3. Select a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a doctor does not know can hurt you.
4. Request for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. Find another one if your physician will not inform you. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is completely disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgery to remove the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as good as a discount parachute. The prospective savings are unworthy the danger of receiving less than expert care!
Expect to see very well after LASIK, but do not anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as private as each client. Be careful of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not buying a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not forget the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the eyesight of millions of individuals worldwide.